Friday, December 21, 2012

Book Review: The Getaway Car

The full title is thus:
"The Getaway Car: A Practical Memoir About Writing and Life" by Ann Patchett
Image result for the getaway car patchett
I cannot honestly remember where I heard about this book. I think it was on this blog by a bunch of guys, really funny guys. One of them had written a post about kindle singles that they liked. So I purchased three of them. Two of them had the "f" word, a lot. Yeah, I'm pretty sure that was where I got the recommendation. I was disappointed in the first two and never read "The Getaway Car" until now. After writing my novel for NaNoWriMo, I decided it was time to read Patchett's short and sweet 'memoir."

On a sidenote, I quite enjoy the concept of kindle singles. I just need to find a better way of finding stories I like before I fork out the 2 or 3 dollars for singles I later find I need to delete.

Well, it turns out that "The Getaway Car" was a great read. It's short, thus being a 'kindle single' and it was inspiring for an amateur novelist. Patchett briefly goes through her early life as a student of writing and the first time she sequesters herself to focus on writing. I loved reading about the feelings she had and her advice to new novelists

I finished feeling optimistic and somewhat enlightened. If you want to write or enjoy reading about the creative process, this is an interesting book/single.

No comments:

Post a Comment